Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas in the Sun

Ahh, Christmas…the word conjures up all of those evocative memories of fires crackling in the fireplace (or, at our house, on the tv), the tree all lit up with mounds of presents underneath, curled up on the couch in a pair of warm socks with a good book in hand, while outside the snow falls gently, creating a winter wonderland.

Nothing about piñatas, tamales, or 80 degree weather says Christmas (to me). I think I’m in culture shock. Because I’ve spent the past couple of weeks planning my kids Christmas, and only now am I realizing that I totally don’t feel like it’s Christmas at all here. I’m not cold. I’ve received two presents, and I’m trying to be a grown up about that, but man, I really like presents! The Christmas music is all in Spanish, and Feliz Navidad is the worst song ever. Externally, you could say that this is shaping up to be a rotten Christmas.

Except it’s not, not really. I don’t want to make myself sound better than I am, but this is the first time that I’ve gotten to put together someone else’s Christmas, and I’m really excited. We organized what the kids are going to eat (tacos and roast chicken and pudding-Christmas-y, right?) what they’re going to do (make piñatas, dress up like princesses and watch Disney movies) and I’m thrilled to watch their Christmas unfold. Not because I’m really going to be partying-I’m going to be chasing them around and making sure no one is being hit/made fun of/having their stuff stolen/being sat on/etc., but because for the first time, Christmas really isn’t about me. It’s about them. They’re going to have a great time, and I got to be part of making that happen. It’s awesome.

So for all of you who are reading this blog, I hope you have a great Christmas. Enjoy the snow (dramatic shudder), enjoy your presents, and enjoy all of the blessings that God has put in your life. I’m going to be here, enjoying the eight little blessings he’s put in mine, and making sure they have a wonderful Christmas.

Merry Christmas!


Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment