Friday, June 27, 2014

What You Don't Know Can't Hurt You: Let's Get Started

One day, a few years ago, my friend and I decided to take a walk in the picturesque city of Antigua, Guatemala. We strolled out of the house we were staying at and walked down to the city square, eager to see more of the mountaintop town. Enjoying all of the foreign sights and smells, I noticed a small girl selling beaded necklaces to anyone who looked interested. Anyone who has spent time in third-world countries is familiar with people selling all sorts of random objects anywhere they set up; a few days later on the same trip, I bought a carved wooden flute out of a bus window during a traffic jam caused by a cow laying the road. However, there was something about this little girl that caught my eye.

She was tiny, this girl. She barely came to my hip. More than her small stature, there was such desperation in her face as she called out to the passer-bys, “Necklaces! Beaded necklaces!” That was all she said, and small as she was, most of the people ignored her for the louder, more professional sellers in the same square. She kept shouting, even though her voice was hoarse. Of the few people who noticed her, one or two took pity and bought necklaces. She hoarded the coins they gave her eagerly, stuffing them in her pockets before glancing around to see if anyone was watching her.

Maybe because she seemed so desperate, maybe because she was alone, I decided to talk to her. When she sat down, I took a seat beside her, my friend obediently following me. And when I asked her why she seemed so desperate, her answer was simple.

“If I don’t sell, I don’t eat. I’m hungry.”

Her name was Rosa. During the day she sold the necklaces that her mother made at night. What little money they gain was spent on buying more materials and feeding their small family. Since her father had left a few years ago, making and selling necklaces had become her family’s main source of income, and with a sick baby and an aging father to care for, Rosa knew her mother was barely to make ends meet.

Rosa was the first child to tell me her story on that trip, but she wasn’t the last. During my time in Guatemala, I was inundated with children and the tales they had to tell me. It was through their eyes that I was forced to look at myself, and I didn’t like what I saw.

I was rich, selfish, and worst of all, ignorant. My worldview had never been challenged before coming to Guatemala. I was secure in the knowledge that everything would be all right, that God would take care of ‘poor people,’ who for me had never really been anything more than an abstract thought, anyways. You see, I had adopted that attitude that so many of us have: I knew but I didn’t know.

I knew there were children starving in the world, but I didn’t know what it was like to talk to a hungry child.

I knew there was violence in the world, but I didn’t know the death-grip of a child’s hand as they explained to me how they had been tormented.

I knew there was rape in the world, but I didn’t know the feeling of holding a thirteen-year-old rape victim’s tiny, perfect baby in my arms.

And what I didn’t know couldn’t hurt me.

Caring is a hard thing to do. Apathy demands nothing of us, and willful ignorance even less. But to care; to see a need in the world and be challenged to do something about it, to play a part in its resolution, however small-that’s so difficult. But it’s time for individuals, churches, and nations to take a stand for a world that’s hurtling off the edge of a cliff. It’s time for us to care.

In this series, I will be talking about some of the global issues facing children in this day and age. I’m sure I’ll be a wreck through most of it, because children mess me up. I will be trying to paint a picture for you of what it’s like for those children who are trapped in lives that they can’t escape, be it hunger, slavery, abuse, or that ever-present beast, poverty, as well as giving information on organizations that are doing their part to help. I’m not going to make you do anything; I’m not going to guilt trip you into sponsoring a child or sending money to Africa. All I’m trying to do is make you care.

Because I know that you will do the rest.

What you don’t know can’t hurt you. Before I talked to that little girl, I was happy in my ignorance. I had no reason to find out more about what was happening to children in the world, and no intention of working with them full-time, either. My ignorance wasn’t hurting me.

What you don’t know can’t hurt you.

But it will certainly hurt them.

No comments:

Post a Comment