Saturday, April 25, 2015

Thoughts on Teaching

Let me just remind you all, I am not a trained educator. I have no degree in teaching, and only most of a Teaching English as a Foreign Language certification; I don’t actually have the certification. That being said, I can tell you truthfully: one of my biggest joys here at Esperanza Viva is giving English classes.

Mario on the first day of school
For me, there is nothing like being a teacher. Even on the day when I’m stressed, even when I’m sick or just exhausted, walking into the classroom is an instant mood elevator. I love to see my student’s progress as they advance on what has to be the world’s worst language to learn, and their joy as they recognize their own improvement, because it means that all of the time and thought I put into planning their lessons and coming up with real ways to learn have not been in vain.

I have trouble expressing what I love so much about teaching, especially because it is so challenging. There are days when I wonder what I’m doing; I have no training and I’m probably screwing these kids up for life, language-wise. I second guess my handling of situations and sometimes, honestly, my lessons are boring and that makes me feel like a failure as a teacher and possibly as a human being. I’m constantly trying to improve my plans, to come up with a way to help the kids learn in a way that makes sense to them, that is appropriate for their age and grade level-things that don’t always match up, when you have fifteen-year-olds working at a fourth grade level. It’s hard and difficult and exhausting and stressful: why do I love it?

I know the answer, though.

I love it because Jenny can count to ten without stopping.

Satyuri, Ale, & Ada
I love it because Anibal figured out how to use a Spanish-English dictionary.

I love it because Ingrid and Italia finally figured out English is not Spanish with an Gringo accent.

I love it because Emmanuel asked me for a pencil without stopping to think about it.

I love it because the entire third grade played “Go Fish” for a half an hour in English last week.

I love it because of the “I love my teacher” notes.

Kindergarten class learning about their senses
I love it because Vicky learned to say “cat” instead of “gat.”

I love it because of the look on Toño’s face when he answers something correctly.

I love it because when I tell Ada to ask me in English, she does it without blinking.


I love it because I know what I’m doing is affecting my students. I can see it. We aren’t just learning verbs and nouns; we’re learning how to keep trying. We’re learning the importance of books and good attitudes. We’re learning teamwork. And most of all, we’re learning that no matter what anyone has been told, with enough persistence and hard work, they can learn-and they can see themselves learning.

For kids who have never done well in school before, and for teachers who sometimes feel overwhelmed with their responsibilities alike, this is amazing, and it encourages us to keep going when things get rough.

2014 last day of school celebration

No comments:

Post a Comment